I got the following error when trying to install Windows 8 preview on VM Player.
The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows, click ‘OK’ to restart the computer, and then restart the installation.
When installing on VMware Workstation 8:
- Use Typical (Easy install)
- Point to .iso file, Disregard warning about failed OS detection.
- Choose Windows 7 x64 or Windows 7
- Type a login name. Ignore product key and password.
- Name your virtual machine and choose a location.
- Set HDD as 20GB in 1 file.
- Customize hardware: Set memory at 2 GB RAM. Keep 1 CPU/Core. Remove floppy drive and printer from HW configuration.
- When the virtual machine starts booting, click on the floppy drive icon, and choose disconnect. Thus you won’t be using the autoinst.flp configuration file, and the installation will progress without a hitch.